Monday, August 24, 2009

Teacher Hat

Monday afternoon I took some Exedrine Migraine then put on my teacher hat. Started installing curriculum on three computers that have been used ALOT. Finally yesterday afternoon the curriculum was installed on all three computers ready for school to begin. Hannah is ready, Leah told me I might as well get a belt and spank her now for the upcoming year, and Rachel doesn't have clue. About anything. She kind of likes it that way, though. By the way, I have never spanked them for anything school related even though I was tempted a few times! I did find a paper this morning that Rachel had to write when we lived in Stillwater. From the contents of the paper I gathered that she and Hannah had a little tiff and I made them write about how wonderful it was to have sisters. She said that you shouldn't ever hit your sister especially Hannah because she would hit you back hard and it would hurt. She finished the paper by saying she loved Hannah. Personally I think she was doing that for the teacher's sake. Or, then again, maybe it was for her sake.

As we begin this year, I'm seeing more and more their "grown-up-ness" and it makes me realize I have little time left to equip them for the rest of their lives. Makes me sad. Yesterday Hannah and I were going in to town to the Women's Resource Center to find some information for a 13 year old girl who will be delivering a baby in the next few months. Hannah's heart is breaking for her and she asked me if I thought she was scared. I told her I didn't think she was even mature enough to know to be scared. Hannah said, "She reminds me of Pearl". One could have taken that as a funny statement but it wasn't meant to be funny. As a matter of fact, it was very insightful. Pearl is our bloodhound that just had a litter of pups a few months ago. Our other dog, Molly, was a great momma dog to her pups, but Pearl didn't seem to possess those mother skills. Now she still runs around like a puppy with lots of mimies (Kyle's word for "the girls" when he was little). You would never know she'd ever given birth. So yes, Hannah got it right.

Sometimes the things that come out of their mouths amaze me. I'm their mom, so they are supposed to amaze me, but still. I'm ready for the time we get to share doing school, even though we have Physics and Chemistry involved in the process this year. So the "Teacher Hat" is dusted off and back on. A little crooked, of course, because I don't wear any of the hats perfectly, but I think all God wants is to know I'm willing to balance it on top of my imperfect head.

1 thoughts:

Mike and Cymbre said...

Wow! 13!! That is great that she knows someone like Hannah. My husband and I remind our youth that you never know how God will use you in others' lives. I'm sure Hannah is being used to encourage this young girl during a time that she may not recieve much encouragement or love. Being a member of your family, I know (without knowing her) that Hannah knows how to show love and encouragement!