Thursday, February 17, 2011

Spring Up, Oh Well

I left right after church Sunday to pick up the girls from their Work Crew Reunion at Camp Peniel. Averi and Jerret met me in Waco so I could get back in time for Heroes at 6:00.

I got into the van and checked the rear view mirror before I pulled out on to I-45. When I looked in the mirror I saw the chunk of hair that is growing in - right on top of my head. I never knew how it fell out or broke off, whatever it did, I just know it is taking an awful long time to grow back. It is about two inches long now.

The song “Spring Up, Oh Well” came to mind, like it does every time I pass a mirror or store front and catch a glimpse of the little shock of hair poking up on top of my head.

So I’m singing the song and I think of our ladies’ retreat back in October and how the ladies sang this song along with the motions. The girls taught them the song because our retreat was on the woman at the well in John 4. They were great sports to follow along and have fun with it. The “gush, gush, gush” and “splish, splash” were pretty cute done by 60+ women of all ages and backgrounds.

I started thinking about the woman at the well and how she was being offered “living water” by the Son of God Himself. The only water she knew of was water that would quench her physical thirst. What Jesus was offering was water for her spiritual thirst.

Then because my brain was already busy, it went to Ephesians 5 where men are instructed to love their wives as Christ loved the church by washing with the “water of the word”.

Then I thought of John 1:1 when it says “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.” And then in John 1:14 it says “and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.”

So here is what the gray matter that lives in my skull was figuring:

Jesus is the Word.

The Word is water.

Jesus is that Living Water. He was offering this outcast woman Himself.

His very Self.

Is it interesting to only me how when old Nehemiah went back to rebuild the wall around Jerusalem (Old Testament) that the only gate that didn’t need repair was the Water gate?

Can’t help but smile on that one.

So I had my own little Bible study as I was drove down I-45 and pulled in to Corsicana on the first leg of my journey. All because of a fountain on top of my head.

Oh yeah, as a side note: the fountain on my head also reminds me of how my mom sent me to school in the first grade - with a fountain we affectionately called a "top knot". Gee.

0 thoughts: