Monday, January 3, 2011

This Jesus, Whom I Proclaim

I want this year to be different. I still want to lose weight, and I got some Oil of Olay with my wedding money that will take years off my appearance. I want to walk slower and stay home more.

There is a burning inside me though, that won't stop. A burning that says I need to do MORE than the same old things.

Michael is starting a series in I Thessalonians and Sunday gave the background of when Paul went to visit Thessalonica on his journeys. Right before he and Silas went to Thessalonica they were in Philippi. They were beaten and put in prison. Even though they had to be in so much physical pain, they sang and praised God. No, listen, they SANG and PRAISED GOD!

Long story short: there was an earthquake, the shackles fell off and the jailer was going to take his life because he thought everyone had escaped, when Paul let him know they were all still in there. The jailer saw something in Paul's eyes and heard something in his voice that was foreign to him. He observed his actions and knew there was something about this man and his friend that was different than any one he had ever seen before.

He wanted what Paul had. Who Paul had.

He asked what he needed to do to be saved and Paul told him to believe on the Lord Jesus and he would be saved. That simple. There was no aisle and no altar call. There were just three men - one with a need and the other two who knew the One Who could meet that need.

Some people think you need to stand on street corners and tell people about Jesus. Maybe sometimes you do. I'm kinda thinking that maybe people should come to Jesus because they see something in me they want.

Have you ever had someone come up and say to you, "I want what you have!", knowing they need their heart shaped hole filled by the Only One Who could take up every spot? That will only happen if there is something in your eyes, voice, and actions that
proclaims Jesus.

I want that. I want people to want Jesus because of me.

When Paul stood before the people after his release, he studied with them for three days, then he said, "This Jesus, whom I proclaim to you, is the Christ."

He was telling these Jewish people that Jesus was the King they were looking for.

I can't get that phrase out of my mind. Been thinking about it since yesterday.

This Jesus, Whom I proclaim - This Jesus, Whom I proclaim - This Jesus, Whom I proclaim.

If you saw me driving down I-45 you might think I'm a christian because I don't drive over the speed limit (that was for you Marla and Ashlee), or because you see a Cowboy Church of Ennis sticker on the back of my mini van. I proclaim to be a christian, but when I interact with others on a daily basis, do they see Jesus enough to want Him?

Not often enough.

So by the end of 2011, I hope to be a skinnier, more youthful me who walks instead of scurries. My greatest desire though, is that I hear - more than once - "I want what you have".

Please God, more than once.

0 thoughts: