Thursday, October 4, 2007




If you are ever driving down I-45 on a Sunday morning and decide you want to go to Cowboy Church, this man will meet you at the door. Don and Lucy, along with their daughter and son-in-law, grandkids, and a couple of great grandkids, were members here when we came. They all are so sweet and have the lightest, prettiest blue eyes you've ever seen. When we first came, anytime Michael would tell me about one of them, he would say, "They are part of the "blue-eyed family". That's how I knew who he was talking about.
Lucy has a precious heart, and the best way for me to describe Don is that he is a gentle man with a servant's heart. They have walked through many storms as a family and just keep getting stronger and loving the Lord more every day. It wasn't until the death of their one month old great grandson that Lucy told me she hadn't been a Christian but a couple of years. I was very surprised because she seemed so strong. We stood in that hospital corridor and she shared with me that Don had prayed for her for years, wanting her to go to church with him. Finally, she went with him to Cowboy Church and she accepted Jesus. God has grown her fast and she is a comfort to so many others with her faith.
One day I noticed a hand mirror wired up on the pole right outside the front door of the church. I went to see what it was and it didn't take long for me to know exactly what it was being used for. After the service starts, Don stands right inside the door. He can see when someone comes from the south but wasn't able to see if someone was walking up from the north. He wired the mirror up so he could make sure EVERYONE would have an open door when they came up. I was driving the other day and the song "Softly and Tenderly" came on. It reminded me of Don. You see, every Sunday morning Don gives us a picture of God. We know that God is our "El Roi" - our "God Who sees". If He wasn't, I believe He would have mirrors wired to poles all over the place because He wants to miss no-one. In the song it says, "See on the portals He's waiting and watching, Watching for you and for me. Come home, Come home. Ye who are weary, come home. Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling. Calling, Oh Sinner, come home."
Don, this gentle man, will meet you at our door. This gentle man who prayed his wife and family through the door. He wants you to meet Jesus too.
Thank you Father for having them in this place. Thank you for their precious hearts and willing hands.

0 thoughts: